Rigor Product Suggestions

1. Adding a checkbox "Do not start next test until current test completes"

Our backend is stateful and things get messed up if a test starts before the next test is finished. This is not ordinarily a problem but can cause issues when there are aws outages.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Rigor Monitoring  ·  Admin →
  2. API: Support updating HTTP check settings via the Monitoring API

We have a need to bulk update some HTTP check parameters. I thought this might be a good opportunity to dig into the Monitoring API and maybe write an Ansible module for managing HTTP checks. I ran into problems when I found that, while I could create and delete HTTP checks, the API provided no method of updating existing checks.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This makes sense. fundamentally we need to provide a comprehensive way to update a checks settings via the API. A v1.0 of this could be to just allow updating check settings, but not say RBC steps (since bulk updating selenium steps could be challenging). Reaching out to reporters with some clarifying questions.

3. Set Custom color legend thresholds on Dashboards

In trying to set up an Executive Dashboard, the default thresholds for how the coloring (Green, Yellow, Red) is applied to the dashboard are looser than the thresholds our executives would like to see.

Example: The executive dashboards default to showing any avg uptime of 98-100% as green, 90-97% as yellow, and <90% as red. But because our sites need to be highly available, we'd rather have those thresholds be 99.9-100% green, 99.5-99.9% yellow, and <99.5% red. Similarly we'd like to be able to set thresholds for Response times.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add Threshold Monitors for Page Reporting metrics

We should be able to have Threshold Monitors for all the metrics available until the Page Report

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. When a node is unavailable do not send failure response

When a node goes down for maintenance or other reasons the response it sends when trying to make either a uptime or real browser check should not be a failure. Currently this will trigger false positives where the node is down yet the service or page it is monitoring is actually indeed working.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. ICMP Ping

A simple (ICMP) ping would be nice for monitoring devices that don't have a web-frontend.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Ability to Limit Access to Status Page to Internal IP

I would like to be able to share the status page with our internal employees without them having to login. But I would like to keep the status page internal so people outside of the company can't see the page.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Reduce SUCCESS text messages to match FAILURE text messaging settings.

We have NON location based alerting setup via SMS / TEXT message for any of our Uptime monitoring configurations.

We correctly get Failure AND Success messages for each respect service status; however, since we have non-location based we expect 1 SMS for failure and 1 SMS for success.

It seems that FAILURE SMS abides by the checkbox - Alert on Location specific failures - but SUCCESS does not. If I uncheck the box altogether (as we currently have it) - I still get 1 SMS for Failure but I get 3 (for 3 locations) Success texts.

Can we make them…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Notifications: Ability to Test User Notification Groups

I have heard from a couple of customers that the ability to test notification groups would be helpful in a non-live situation to 1) make sure that they are set-up properly, and 2) test them after making changes.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Benchmark Check: Collect Additional metrics

Add the following additional metrics to the Benchmark tool: DOM Complete (Visual Complete) Load Time, # of 3rd party javascript calls, # of 3rd party domain resource requests.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Ryan, thanks for the suggestion.
    We have are currently planning to switch the Benchmark check over to using our RBC platform under the covers to perform the tests. This makes many more metrics available to Benchmark check, include DomContentLoad, Fully Loaded, as well as future things we add to RBC, such as SpeedIndex.

We email you to better understand what you mean by 3PC Javascript “calls” (the requests to 3rd party urls? The number of function calls 3PC JS makes, etc)

11. Custom Reports: Include render time as a reporting option

Include DOM Load Time inside custom reports: I would like to be able to see the DOM Load Time/Render Time as an option during the creation of a custom_report. The goal here is to see dom load time/render time instead of load/response time.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is a great idea Chris and I 100% agree. Right now, custom reports offer only the measurements that all checks offer, so all those great stats with collect in RBC aren’t available. We are fixing that. First step is we are about to introduce a bunch of additional RBC metrics we collect. Then we are revamping Custom Reports so that RBC checks can include more metrics, like DomContentLoaded, etc

12. Status Pages: Allow annotations to be placed on service outage/degradation icons for public status pages.

Will help inform users of issues and possible post-mortem actions taken.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. RBC: Allow additional steps for Real Browser Checks to continue in a second new tab

Some functionality on our pages opens a new tab in the user's browser. We'd like to check these processes with Real Browser Checks. Currently, the check is only able to find elements in a single tab/window allowing us to only check a portion of the process, or use 2 checks for 1 user flow.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for sharing this idea Sarah. I can see how this is a need. There might be some issues with how to support this with the underlying Selenium script engine, but we should certainly investigate. Moving to “under review” and going to talk with Engineering

14. Notifications: Send multiple alerts using different templates

I would like to request the ability for an alert to send multiple email templates at different stages in the alert. We use email to integrate with HP OpenView for tracking our alerts from different systems. We would like Rigor's alerts to be able to send a plain delimited email to OpenView for their alert system and then another normal email to my development staff.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Totally agree Doug. Thanks for sharing this idea. Our notifications system needs to be more flexible about allowing multiple different communications to occur in response to certain events, such as sending 2 different emails, to 2 different groups, using 2 different templates.

We are collecting use cases for a totally rebuild notifications system. I will include this in our planning.

15. Notifications: Send emails on 1 failure *and* then emails + SMS on 2 failures

Hi Rigor, I noticed that we cannot set up alerts for a test so that if it failed once it immediately emailed the group, but then if it failed twice it would text and email the group. It seems like you can only do one or the other. There are times we want to know about 'noise', but just not by text. however, if that 'noise' continues, then please text. We use the email alerts for review more then logging into Rigor to look and see if any noise occurred. Hopefully others find this useful as well.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Totally agree. Our notification system needs to be more flexible in allowing multiple different levels of alerting based on the conditions.

We are currently gathering use cases for a complete revamp of the notification system. This is a great one to include. Thanks for the suggestion Scott!

16. Domain Performance: Include number of requests in view

In the domain performance view (^/reports/domain_performance/[0-9]+), the hover on a check gives you the number of seconds for each domain, but it would be very helpful to be able to see the number of requests associated with each domain as well.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Notifications: Notify on specific error to a separate contact

At the moment, we set up an alert and a single contact (be it a group or email address). It would be great if we were able to add multiple notification entries and apply the alert thresholds to each entry. So for example if the entire test fails it would go to the NOC, if a specific error occurs like a 4XX then go to a particular email address like a developer for example. We shouldn't have to create multiple tests for this.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for writing in William. I totally agree. We should allow specific notification settings to tie to 1 or more threshold monitors.

We are currently defining use cases for a completely revamped notification system. This seems like a logical one to include. Moving to under review while we plan.

18. UI: Add numbering column to Check Tables landing

Since the system/contracts are based on # of allowed checks, add a count column on the landing page. Otherwise you have to manually count them. Example: http://prntscr.com/8p76bs

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Notifications: Alert Email Templates Per User or Group

Currently, we can create a new an Alert email template per Check. I would like the ability to have templates per User or Group for notifications. This would allow "humans" to still get pretty email alerts, but also lighter alerts to other alerts contacts that may be machines, hence, we can script and scrap the alert.

Thank you,

Chris

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

100% agree Chris. Thank you for sharing this idea and use case.

We are revamping our notification system, including how templates can work, and are currently collecting use cases. This is something we should consider while doing this work.

Moving to “under review”

20. Email Reports: Column Sort order control of emailed reports.

We would like to have sort order control of reports sent via email. In particular we would set and save a reports sort order on "Max Response Time" column Largest to Smallest so each report will be received sorted in this manner.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Rigor Product Suggestions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base