Rigor Product Suggestions

1. Notifications: Notify on specific error to a separate contact

At the moment, we set up an alert and a single contact (be it a group or email address). It would be great if we were able to add multiple notification entries and apply the alert thresholds to each entry. So for example if the entire test fails it would go to the NOC, if a specific error occurs like a 4XX then go to a particular email address like a developer for example. We shouldn't have to create multiple tests for this.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)

Thanks for writing in William. I totally agree. We should allow specific notification settings to tie to 1 or more threshold monitors.

We are currently defining use cases for a completely revamped notification system. This seems like a logical one to include. Moving to under review while we plan.

2. Reports: Add option to see tag reports over time frames < or = 24 hours

Current tag reports are based on daily rollups. It would be nice if users could easily see individual runs within smaller time frames on the tag report or have the option to create on the fly performance history reports based on tags.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I know inside the app, we should run-level metrics for a tag set under the “Dashboards”. Makes sense to apply this out to reports as well. Reaching out to Melanie to get some clarifying details.

3. Overwrite the local DNS configuration for a specific test.

It would be helpful to have the ability to overwrite the local DNS resolver for a specific test. For example, we want to test a webpage as normal, but have DNS resolution done by a specific recursive DNS server. This is different than the DNS override in the host header, which allows replacement of a domain with an IP; in this case, we would like dynamic resolution to follow load balancing configurations.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Rigor Monitoring  ·  Admin →
  4. Conditional alerting

The notification conditions could be broadened to include notify after x failures within y time units.

It would also be useful to have an option at the end of the test to send an alert or not based on the content of the json response. Some of our alerts are time sensitive, some can be dealt with later.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Status Pages: Allow annotations to be placed on service outage/degradation icons for public status pages.

Will help inform users of issues and possible post-mortem actions taken.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Ability to Limit Access to Status Page to Internal IP

I would like to be able to share the status page with our internal employees without them having to login. But I would like to keep the status page internal so people outside of the company can't see the page.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. RBC: Record video of rendering

Right now Rigor captures screenshots of page failures and they're great for troubleshooting. It would be an added bonus if we also captured video of successful tests and failed tests so that users can compare visual render time of specific elements.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

100% agree. If WebPageTest can do it, which should be capable of doing it as well!

To calculate SpeedIndex (another thing we are doing), we need to take lots of screenshots anyway. So stitching them together into a video makes total sense and would be a great eye candy feature

Moving to Planned

8. Notifications: Send multiple alerts using different templates

I would like to request the ability for an alert to send multiple email templates at different stages in the alert. We use email to integrate with HP OpenView for tracking our alerts from different systems. We would like Rigor's alerts to be able to send a plain delimited email to OpenView for their alert system and then another normal email to my development staff.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Totally agree Doug. Thanks for sharing this idea. Our notifications system needs to be more flexible about allowing multiple different communications to occur in response to certain events, such as sending 2 different emails, to 2 different groups, using 2 different templates.

We are collecting use cases for a totally rebuild notifications system. I will include this in our planning.

9. alert sends request and response of the call that triggered the failed assertion

We are trying to automate our error reporting. In order to do this we need to start grouping failures by the call involved and the failure response provided. We hope to use hubot to sort through the errors and only forward new, unknown ones to our slack channel. So what we need is to have the alerts include the request and response that triggered the failed assertion so that we can sort through these efficiently.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. UI: Update Bulk Change so users can add tags in bulk

Right now tags can only be applied / removed on a check-by-check basis. We should make it easy to add / remove tags in bulk by adding it as an option to our existing Bulk Change feature.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

100% agree. This is the kind of thing needed when support large organizations with a large amount of checks.

We should add the ability to bulk add/remove tags via our bulk update functionality. Moving to “under review”

11. Notifications: Alert Email Templates Per User or Group

Currently, we can create a new an Alert email template per Check. I would like the ability to have templates per User or Group for notifications. This would allow "humans" to still get pretty email alerts, but also lighter alerts to other alerts contacts that may be machines, hence, we can script and scrap the alert.

Thank you,

Chris

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

100% agree Chris. Thank you for sharing this idea and use case.

We are revamping our notification system, including how templates can work, and are currently collecting use cases. This is something we should consider while doing this work.

Moving to “under review”

12. Email Reports: Column Sort order control of emailed reports.

We would like to have sort order control of reports sent via email. In particular we would set and save a reports sort order on "Max Response Time" column Largest to Smallest so each report will be received sorted in this manner.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add support for uploading certificates to use with API Checks

Some services and APIs require a valid certificate to be passed through in order to configure monitoring. It would be great if you could upload and store a certificate in Rigor so that people could have more robust Monitoring for APIs that require certificates.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. RBC: Allow additional steps for Real Browser Checks to continue in a second new tab

Some functionality on our pages opens a new tab in the user's browser. We'd like to check these processes with Real Browser Checks. Currently, the check is only able to find elements in a single tab/window allowing us to only check a portion of the process, or use 2 checks for 1 user flow.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for sharing this idea Sarah. I can see how this is a need. There might be some issues with how to support this with the underlying Selenium script engine, but we should certainly investigate. Moving to “under review” and going to talk with Engineering

15. UI:Allow custom dashboards as landing pages

One of my stakeholders asked if he could see his particular sites when logging in. I told him to bookmark the relevant status page. It would be great if I could designate a "landing page" for his account that would display upon login.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. RBC: make Wait times configurable in Steps

Currently when using Steps in RBC there is an option to "Wait for..." text or elements and I've been told that is hard-coded on the backend to be 5 seconds so my suggestion is to make that configurable so that we could enter a number up to 60 seconds to avoid false positives reporting the step failed when it is really just taking longer than 5 seconds.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Rigor Monitoring  ·  Admin →
  17. UI: Sortable column on HAR viewer waterfall charts

It would be neat if we could sort waterfall charts by the largest file size, content types, etc.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion Melanie, I think it could help yes! Chrome Dev tools allows you to do this in their waterfall, and I personal use it fairly regularly. The entire HAR viewer could probably use a visual/usability upgrade. Moving to “under review”

18. Notifications: Ability to Test User Notification Groups

I have heard from a couple of customers that the ability to test notification groups would be helpful in a non-live situation to 1) make sure that they are set-up properly, and 2) test them after making changes.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. reporting

It would be nice to get an aggregated downtime time report in minutes/seconds in addition to the percentage that is available now.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add Threshold Monitors for Page Reporting metrics

We should be able to have Threshold Monitors for all the metrics available until the Page Report

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Rigor Product Suggestions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base