I suggest you improve Rigor by...

RBC: Fully support SPA and ajax enabled sites to monitor and report based on steps

Currently we are able to define steps. For Single Page Apps, there is only 1 "pageload" everything else is IFrames and XHR/Ajax. We need a way to measure performance of later steps, possibly via the W3C user timings API

53 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Arie van Donkelaar shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  AdminProduct Team (Admin, Rigor) responded  · 

Step 1 is adding support for custom user timings, since a selenium scripts walking through a flow on a SPA doesn’t generate multiple HARs it generates 1 HAR.

We recently upgrade our version of FireFox used by RBC, allowing us to leverage the custom user timings API to collect metrics and then report/graph/alert on them. We are planning our SPA/custom user timings project now

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminProduct Team (Admin, Rigor) commented  · 

We are adding support for custom user timings to allow Rigor to monitor, trend, and alert on any aspect of a Single Page App beyond the initial page load info.

• AdminProduct Team (Admin, Rigor) commented  · 

Step 1 is adding support for custom user timings, since a selenium scripts walking through a flow on a SPA doesn't generate multiple HARs it generates 1 HAR.

We recently upgrade our version of FireFox used by RBC, allowing us to leverage the custom user timings API to collect metrics and then report/graph/alert on them

• Arie van Donkelaar commented  · 

it should be possible to notify a user or group based on the loadtime/ status of a specific step/ transaction. Sometimes multiple vendors are responsible for 1 application.

• Martin Breest commented  · 

For single page apps (SPAs) where a lot of Javascript and possibly IFrames are involved for actually loading the page, the default load time based on the onload event is not specific enough and often toggles and therefore leads to confusion when displayed in overviews and reports.

What we already have is the possibility to define steps (such as "Wait for element visible"), which is really helpful for measuring single page app load times. What we need is the possibility to also overwrite the default load time with the time of a successfully achieved step (from start to achieved step for example).

Another option would be to support user timings https://www.w3.org/TR/user-timing/ and let us configure in the real browser configuration which user timing time should overwrite the default load time.

The specific problem I have right now is that I am not able to reliably measure the load time of https://www.spreadshirt.com/design-your-own-t-shirt-C59 for example.

Feedback and Knowledge Base