Rigor Product Suggestions

I suggest you improve Rigor by...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Conditional alerting

The notification conditions could be broadened to include notify after x failures within y time units.

It would also be useful to have an option at the end of the test to send an alert or not based on the content of the json response. Some of our alerts are time sensitive, some can be dealt with later.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Rigor Monitoring  ·  Admin →
  2. Auto pausing alerts based on one or two alert

We have many monitorings monitoring our web site's up time and functonality. It would be great if we could set our ping test monitor and our homepage check monitor as master monitorings. If these monitors are both failing then all of the other monitors for the website are paused automatically or muted. We had an outage this morning at 12:30am for 3 hours. All of our monitors were going off which became annoying as we were trying to fix the issue.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

I really like this idea, thanks Steve. Basically, if multiple checks are all testing different aspects of the thing, and a few “key” checks start failing and sending alerts, you probably don’t want to receive a flood of alerts.

We are in the currently collecting use cases for a reworking of our entire notification/alerting system. This seems like a good use case to include in our scope

3. Status Pages: Allow annotations to be placed on service outage/degradation icons for public status pages.

Will help inform users of issues and possible post-mortem actions taken.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Alerting: have the default alert destination for a new test be the person adding the test.

I would like to suggest when adding a new test, the default alerting destination be the person adding the test by default, the goal is to eliminate the possibility of sending a bogus alert to whatever the default destination is now.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

I like this idea Barry. It makes it faster to set up tests. However we have some users that setup tests for others, and would have to keep changing that if we defaulted to the current user

Sounds like we should either have a per-user default, or make it super easy to specify the current user when creating the check. Moving this to “under review”

5. Ability to Limit Access to Status Page to Internal IP

I would like to be able to share the status page with our internal employees without them having to login. But I would like to keep the status page internal so people outside of the company can't see the page.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. RBC: Record video of rendering

Right now Rigor captures screenshots of page failures and they're great for troubleshooting. It would be an added bonus if we also captured video of successful tests and failed tests so that users can compare visual render time of specific elements.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

100% agree. If WebPageTest can do it, which should be capable of doing it as well!

To calculate SpeedIndex (another thing we are doing), we need to take lots of screenshots anyway. So stitching them together into a video makes total sense and would be a great eye candy feature

Moving to Planned

7. Notifications: Send multiple alerts using different templates

I would like to request the ability for an alert to send multiple email templates at different stages in the alert. We use email to integrate with HP OpenView for tracking our alerts from different systems. We would like Rigor's alerts to be able to send a plain delimited email to OpenView for their alert system and then another normal email to my development staff.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Totally agree Doug. Thanks for sharing this idea. Our notifications system needs to be more flexible about allowing multiple different communications to occur in response to certain events, such as sending 2 different emails, to 2 different groups, using 2 different templates.

We are collecting use cases for a totally rebuild notifications system. I will include this in our planning.

8. alert sends request and response of the call that triggered the failed assertion

We are trying to automate our error reporting. In order to do this we need to start grouping failures by the call involved and the failure response provided. We hope to use hubot to sort through the errors and only forward new, unknown ones to our slack channel. So what we need is to have the alerts include the request and response that triggered the failed assertion so that we can sort through these efficiently.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. UI: Update Bulk Change so users can add tags in bulk

Right now tags can only be applied / removed on a check-by-check basis. We should make it easy to add / remove tags in bulk by adding it as an option to our existing Bulk Change feature.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

100% agree. This is the kind of thing needed when support large organizations with a large amount of checks.

We should add the ability to bulk add/remove tags via our bulk update functionality. Moving to “under review”

10. Notifications: Alert Email Templates Per User or Group

Currently, we can create a new an Alert email template per Check. I would like the ability to have templates per User or Group for notifications. This would allow "humans" to still get pretty email alerts, but also lighter alerts to other alerts contacts that may be machines, hence, we can script and scrap the alert.

Thank you,

Chris

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

100% agree Chris. Thank you for sharing this idea and use case.

We are revamping our notification system, including how templates can work, and are currently collecting use cases. This is something we should consider while doing this work.

Moving to “under review”

11. Email Reports: Column Sort order control of emailed reports.

We would like to have sort order control of reports sent via email. In particular we would set and save a reports sort order on "Max Response Time" column Largest to Smallest so each report will be received sorted in this manner.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Notifications: Notify only if check fails from all (not more than one) locations

Right now we have the ability to disable location-specific notifications but there isn't a great way to check for all locations down vs. more than one location down.

It would be nice to have this option.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

This could be a helpful feature. Would want to better understand what happens when there is a large number of locations, but the interval between checks is long: sounds like someone could miss an outage for potentially a hour or more.

Will reach out to Melanie to better understand the use case

13. Add support for uploading certificates to use with API Checks

Some services and APIs require a valid certificate to be passed through in order to configure monitoring. It would be great if you could upload and store a certificate in Rigor so that people could have more robust Monitoring for APIs that require certificates.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Specify Default Time Period for graphs/results chart

For example … I really want to see the
    last 24 hours, not just the last 8, but 8 is the default. I’d like to be
    able to set my account to default to 24 hours.

The Settings for my account would be a good place to manage preferences like this.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We are reviewing ways to have time periods be sticky, and apply to all graphs as you move through the app. Definitely interested in learning more of your use cases

15. Add a button to test alerts/notifications for checks

It would be nice to make sure that a check is configured properly, and we can send a sample alert to make sure all the alerting works as expected.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  16. RBC: Allow a configurable delay between requests

The rigor test we have is simulating a user session. currently the rigor script sends requests back to back with 1/4 second in between. we need there to be one or two seconds in between though.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  17. RBC: Allow additional steps for Real Browser Checks to continue in a second new tab

Some functionality on our pages opens a new tab in the user's browser. We'd like to check these processes with Real Browser Checks. Currently, the check is only able to find elements in a single tab/window allowing us to only check a portion of the process, or use 2 checks for 1 user flow.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for sharing this idea Sarah. I can see how this is a need. There might be some issues with how to support this with the underlying Selenium script engine, but we should certainly investigate. Moving to “under review” and going to talk with Engineering

18. UI:Allow custom dashboards as landing pages

One of my stakeholders asked if he could see his particular sites when logging in. I told him to bookmark the relevant status page. It would be great if I could designate a "landing page" for his account that would display upon login.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Report on checks with same error type

Right now Rigor makes it easy to report on the number of errors across checks. It would be great if we could also see all checks with a similar error type, e.g. "page load exceeded 60 seconds" or "element not found", over time.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. RBC: make Wait times configurable in Steps

Currently when using Steps in RBC there is an option to "Wait for..." text or elements and I've been told that is hard-coded on the backend to be 5 seconds so my suggestion is to make that configurable so that we could enter a number up to 60 seconds to avoid false positives reporting the step failed when it is really just taking longer than 5 seconds.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Rigor Monitoring  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Rigor Product Suggestions

Feedback and Knowledge Base